Sunday 19 December 2010

UCA Foundation Year. 'Fragments of Identity' project. (2009/10)

The idea behind this project was to explore the essence of identity, both my own and others, and all its many different characteristics that make us unique. These four drawings of my friends were my starting point, I wanted to explore the idea that who we are and become can very much be a reflection of those around us.



Further on in the project I looked more at hidden identity and the use of shadows to hide the identity but have enough detail to get an emotion and personality across.
From here I moved on to actually looking at fragments of identity rather than just one aspect of it or a single being. I started to experiment with combining images and faces together.


These led onto my final idea which was to have a series of photos with the features of my subjects face being slowly replaced as the photos progress, ending with a face very different to that with which we started.



Those last four images were used as my final piece. I chose not to use photoshop so as to keep all the imperfections, there is almost a Frankensteins Monster feel to them which I really enjoy. I think they create a very striking series of images and reflect perfectly what my project was all about, as well as this idea that we change and are transformed by things and people around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment